Senior Data Scientist, REMOTE (US), Insure Tech Startup
We develop advanced data and analytics for commercial auto insurance underwriting. Our analytics meld actuarial and data science approaches to improve underwriting profitability for our clients.
We are seeking an experienced hands-on data scientist, to help build our data analytics platform from the ground-up. We are at the beginning stages of our journey and are looking for forward-thinking innovators that can help transform how business is underwritten by the P&C insurance industry.
This role will help shape the company’s data-centric culture working closely with actuaries and insurance veterans to drive the design of the analytics, from developing the models that use large data sets, to establishing the data stores, and everything in between. You will evaluate external sources of data for predictive modeling value and create a plan to incorporate those sources into our analytics. You will be deeply involved with the details of structuring relevant data sets and will use your skills to develop models that will be used for risk assessment and selection by our customers.
- 3+ years of professional experience in data science and/or predictive analytics role
- 1 or more years of experience developing and implementing multivariate regression models using GLM and its extensions
- A Master’s degree (or commensurate experience)in a relevant discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics or Computer Science
- Strong ability to develop advanced statistical and machine learning models using a variety of techniques (GLM, GAM,Tree-based learning methods, Clustering, etc.) without supervision
- Expert level knowledge in one or more languages commonly used in data analytics (Python, R, SQL)
- Statistical modeling proficiency in Python statsmodels/H2O package or in R
- Experience visualizing complex data insights using ggplot2 in R, seaborn/matplotlib in Python, or in Tableau
- Familiarity with insurance products and coverages, and claims preferred
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn new techniques and technologies, and apply them
- Apply data science and modeling techniques to address a broad range of pricing and underwriting opportunities
- Use data, quantitative modeling and financial analysis to develop analytical tools and predictive models
- Partner with the other team members to turn data into models, and models into insights
- Perform data quality analysis and uncover insights
- Interact with customer product and data science staff
- Contribute to early decision-making to establish the product architecture
- Work in an agile environment, collaborating with actuarial, business and product teams